On December 19, 2019, from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET, OJJDP will present “Reporting Children Missing from Care to NCMEC: Training #4.” This webinar will explore the Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act which requires social service agencies to immediately report missing foster care children to law enforcement and the OJJDP-supported National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). The webinar will discuss resources offered by NCMEC to help locate and recover missing foster children including potential child sex trafficking victims. Register for the webinar here.
The Department of Health & Human Services, Administration for Children and Families (HHS/ACF) announces the launch of the SOAR for Native Communities online module. This free training was developed in collaboration with:
• HHS Administration for Native Americans (ANA)
• National Council of Urban Indian Health (NCUIH)
• Jeri Moomaw, Innovations Human Trafficking Collaborative
• Gwendolyn Packard, Training and Technical Assistance Specialist, National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center
• Theresa Friend, CNM, Forensic Nurse Consultant, Indian Health Service
• Bonnie Clairmont, Tribal Law and Policy Institute
• Kandi Fowler, Project Beacon, American Indian Center of Chicago
Through a public health approach, the SOAR for Native Communities online module helps those serving indigenous populations to better understand human trafficking and its impact on Native communities. The training includes resources relevant to indigenous populations and supports professionals in building trauma-informed and culturally responsive interventions to human trafficking in American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities.
SOAR Online is a series of training modules that can be completed anytime, anywhere. Because individuals who have experienced trafficking or who are at risk of trafficking access a variety of services, SOAR Online includes training tailored for specific professionals on how to identify and respond to human trafficking.